b-hebrew - RE: RE: [b-hebrew] The Priestly Stratum

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: RE: [b-hebrew] The Priestly Stratum
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 14:37:33 -0500

Dear Kurt,
It has been quite a while since I've read Mark's book,
I suppose I should look at it again. For my view of the matter
please see my article in JAOS which should be out any
moment: "The High Places (Bamot) and the Reforms of Hezekiah
and Josiah: An Archaeological Investigation," JAOS 122.3 (2002).
In that paper I investigate every single place in Iron Age Judah that
I could find that could possibly be labeled a cult site. There were
none
of these figurines at any of them. Moreover, there were no reforms.
Each of these sites had been destroyed in attacks by either the
Egyptians
or the Assyrians. By 701 there were no more cult sites except for the
one
in Jerusalem. That alone remained. The Deuteronomist was able to
write that YHWH had chosen one place because it was very evident to him
that he had -- by 701 only Jerusalem was left. That includes Arad, it
had
purposely taken down in advance of Sennacherib's attack. There was no
cult site there in the 7th century. Please see my article.
Liz