b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] The Priestly Stratum

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] The Priestly Stratum
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 21:09:49 -0500

Dear Walter,
Thanks for the note, I had read your article some time ago, actually.
At one point I had gone through all the occurrences of the phrase
"to this day" and concluded based on that and on other considerations
that at least the Deuteronomic history was written under Zerubbabel.
The beginnings of Zerubbabel's reign would have been a period of
hope, consistent with the image of Deut. 30. I don't think it could have
been written much before that.
It had not occurred to me tho that there is no P(!) and that it was all
written by one author at one time.
If so, and if it was written during the Exile, the texts heretofore
assigned
to P reflect the pre-exilic cult -- which is what I am thinking at the
moment.
I don't understand why people are unwilling to consider that a
stratified
priesthood may have existed in the pre-Exilic Judaean cult when
stratified
priesthoods existed in every temple everywhere in the ane that I know
of.
I think it bespeaks an intention to see the pre-Exilic period as idyllic
and democratic, and only the post-Exilic period as hierarchically based.
But aren't there differences between Ezekiel and P which argue against
their having been written at the same time?
Liz