b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] The Priestly Stratum

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <Yigal-Levin AT utc.edu>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] The Priestly Stratum
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 21:30:09 -0500

At 09:17 PM 2/26/2003 -0500, Lisbeth S. Fried wrote:
>Thanks Yigal,
>These are all (except for Levine) 20 years old!

True, Liz, but the same people are still arguing them! I, at least, have
not seen anything that is both new and convincing.

>Have the arguments held up?
>What do the linguists on the list think of the linguistic
>arguments?
>I'm really beginning to think that the whole endeavor
>of dating the texts is a waste of time. Is there any fixed
>point that everyone agrees on?

Personally (as a historian, not a linguist), I agree that we have to take
in to consideration that in the ancient world, in the absence of
mass-production of copies on one hand and of "copy writes" on the other,
"texts" were ever-changing. So that "late" language does not rule out
"early" composition, which was then "updated" by a later copyist (just look
at Bible translations today - what would WE gather from comparing the NRSV
with the Good News Bible?).

HOWEVER, that said, SOMEONE actually DID write the books, at some definite
time and place. So I would prefer to look at the document's content, rather
than the language of the recention that happened to come down to us.

Yigal