b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Exodus 3:14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rob Matlack" <united_by_truth AT myrealbox.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "Lew Osborne" <osbo AT hn.ozemail.com.au>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Exodus 3:14
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 15:25:39 -0600

The succinct note from NET Bible may be of some help and challenge or clarify
your
statement 'the more correct grammatical meaning "I will be whatsoever I will
be"'
and answer your question "why then is so much made of the "I am that I am"
and more
importantly "I am hath sent me unto you" when it should be "I will be hath
sent me
unto you"?" --
It forms an excellent paronomasia with the name. So when God used the verb to
express
his name, he used this form saying, "I AM." When his people refer to him as
Yahweh,
which is the 3msg form of the same verb, it actually means "he is." Some
commentators
argue for a future tense translation, "I will be who I will be," because the
verb has
an active quality about it, and the Israelites lived in the light of the
promises for
the future. They argue that "I AM" would be of little help to the Israelites
in
bondage. But a translation of "I will be" does not effectively do much more
except
restrict it to the future. The idea of the verb would certainly indicate that
God is
not bound by time, and while he is present ("I AM") he will always be
present, even in
the future, and so the verb would embrace that as well. Besides, the
prophetic writers
often give the significance of the names with the use of timeless pronouns—"I
am he,
there is no one else" (see Isa 44:6 and 45:5-7, et al). The Greek translation
used a
participle to capture the idea; and several times in the Gospels Jesus used
the
powerful "I am" with this OT significance. The simplest meaning is the
English present
tense, which embraces the future promises. The point is that Yahweh is
sovereignly
independent of all creation and that his presence guarantees the fulfillment
of the
covenant. Others argue for a causative Hiphil translation of "I will cause to
be," but
nowhere in the Bible does this verb appear in Hiphil or Piel. For a full
discussion
there are a number of works available.

Rob Matlack united_by_truth AT myrealbox.com
Minneapolis, KS
"I can only say that I am nothing but a poor sinner, trusting in Christ alone
for
salvation"--R. E. Lee
"It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight on its
behalf."--Blaise Pascal

---