b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] [b-hebrew nefarious nefesh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT ozemail.com.au>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] [b-hebrew nefarious nefesh
  • Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 20:00:24 +1100

Thanks, Liz. The name is actually Peter, or Mr Kirk.

The Logos in John 1 has been interpreted in various ways. Many scholars now
reject close links to Philo's concept of Logos and to similar Hellenistic
concepts. But I don't see why the Logos must be disembodied, it seems that
there is the same kind of ambivalence as with spirits in the Hebrew Bible,
including Samuel's appearance. And there may be a similar ambivalence with
Wisdom in Proverbs 8. Well, we do have the statement "The Logos became
flesh" (John 1:14) which I suppose implies that he/it was formerly
disembodied, but at least it suggests that the author was unhappy with the
idea of a Logos without flesh. We might argue that John is saying that what
was previously an abstract concept of wisdom/Logos, but not a disembodied
spirit, became a being with flesh. Now that might be hard to reconcile with
Christian theology, but that gets us too far off topic.

Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/