b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] [b-hebrew nefarious nefesh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Charles David Isbell" <cisbell AT cox.net>
  • To: <lizfried AT umich.edu>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] [b-hebrew nefarious nefesh
  • Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 22:18:21 -0600

Hi Liz,
Whether or not WE think her a fake is not the point. But that the author of
the passage, and the editors of the larger framework signal clearly THEIR
perception of her as a fake is what I do see as the point. I don't see the
reason for basing anything theological on a passage describing an incident
that the biblical writers themselves did not perceive as plausible.
The nephesh thing of course started the thread. I see no reason to attempt
to change anyone's mind about this, for clearly some are convinced totally
of a particular perception of the soul and the afterlife in the Hebrew
Bible. To them, I simply say, be well and believe what you will. But if
any view of the afterlife in ancient Israelite society hangs on this
passage, I deem it a slender thread indeed.
Thanks, Liz, for the kind words about my health.
Charles