b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Re: [b-hebrew nefarious nefesh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Re: [b-hebrew nefarious nefesh
  • Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 19:10:38 -0500

Dear Jim, Dave, et. al.
We are arguing about the term (wb.
It appears here in 1 Sam. 28 and also in Isaiah 8:19.
It appears lots of places actually, but only as something
not to consult. Only in 1 Sam. 28 and in Isaiah do we
learn something about them. We learn in 1 Sam. 28
that they can wear robes and can look old. We learn
from Isaiah that they "chirp and mutter," or something
like that.
Now, from these two occurrences, why should we suppose
that they don't have physical bodies? True, it's a physical
body that only some can see, but a body nonetheless.

Jim, you say according to the Greeks that everything that exists
exists in a body, or else it doesn't exist. I think Aristotle at least
believed God was not corporeal, I thought Plato did as well.
But that's neither here nor there.
You say that the Hebrews believed in an existence of the soul
beyond this life -- an existence in Sheol. However, what we are
debating is whether that soul was conceived of as physical or
not. I assume when you say "soul" you mean "nephesh."
If the nephesh is in the blood, which it is, then it seems to me that
it cannot exist without the body. When the blood seeps out, so does
the nephesh, the life. A nephesh is only that which animates the body,
it has
no other meaning. And that which animates the body is life itself.
I suppose therefore that a dead nephesh is one that "lives" in
Sheol, contrary to Utnapishtum, who got to live in a pleasanter
place.

Best regards,
liz