b-hebrew - RE: joash transcription

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: joash transcription
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 15:48:40 -0500

>From Ken:
> I compared the two transcriptions Jim mentioned, and I'm puzzled by
> parts of Jack's translation. Is anyone else willing to hazard a
> translation? In B-Hebrew transliteration (and * marks a word boundary),
> the inscription appears to read,

I'm game, Ken. It sounds like a dedication plaque:

> XZYHW * M...
[A]xazyahu k[ing]...

> HDH W)($ * )T * ...
[Ye]hudah And I made [the]...

> H * K)$R * NML)H * ND
... according as was given(filled) the dona-

> BT * LB )$ * B)RC * WBMD
-tion-cache of the heart of each man of (developed)country and wilder-

> BR * WBKL * (RY * YHDH * L
-ness and all the cities of Yehudah to...

> TT * KSP * HQD$M LRB *
give silver to multiply the holy (things),

> LQNT * )BN * MXCB * WBR
to aquire hewn stone and juni-

> $M * WNX$T * )DM L($T *
pers and the brass of Edom to make

> BML)KH * B)MNH * W)($
by labor faithfully. And I did

> )T * BDQ * HBYT * WHQRT S
the repair of the house and framework a-

> BB * W)T * HYC( * WH$BK
-round and the extension and the lattice-

> M * WHLWLM * WHGR(T * WH
-s and the staircases and the gutter and the-

> DLTT * WHYH * HYM * HZH
-doors. And this day will become

> L(DT * KY TCLX * HML)KH
a testimony for the work will prosper.

> YCW * YHWH * )T * (MW * BBRKH
So commands YHWH his people with blessing.

Shalom, Bryan

B. M. Rocine
Living Word Church
6101 Court St. Rd.