b-hebrew - RE: joash transcription

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ken Penner" <pennerkm AT mcmaster.ca>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: joash transcription
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 13:08:38 -0500

I compared the two transcriptions Jim mentioned, and I'm puzzled by
parts of Jack's translation. Is anyone else willing to hazard a
translation? In B-Hebrew transliteration (and * marks a word boundary),
the inscription appears to read,

XZYHW * M...
HDH W)($ * )T * ...
H * K)$R * NML)H * ND
BT * LB )$ * B)RC * WBMD
BR * WBKL * (RY * YHDH * L
TT * KSP * HQD$M LRB *
LQNT * )BN * MXCB * WBR
$M * WNX$T * )DM L($T *
BML)KH * B)MNH * W)($
)T * BDQ * HBYT * WHQRT S
BB * W)T * HYC( * WH$BK
M * WHLWLM * WHGR(T * WH
DLTT * WHYH * HYM * HZH
L(DT * KY TCLX * HML)KH
YCW * YHWH * )T * (MW * BBRKH

Ken Penner, M.C.S. (Regent College), M.A. (McMaster)
Ph.D. Student, Religious Studies,
Biblical Field (Early Judaism major)
McMaster University
Hamilton, Canada