b-hebrew - Exodus 6:11 and 7:2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lee Roy Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>
  • To: "Hebrew List" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Exodus 6:11 and 7:2
  • Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 10:59:45 -0500

Dear Friends,
Please observe these three translations of Ex 6:11 and 7:2. They are
all in agreement that the weyiqtol of 6:11 and the weqatal of 7:2 should
be translated the same. They interpret both verbs as indirect speech,
or purpose statements. I would expect the weyiqtol to the translated
this way, but I would expect the weqatal to be simple future tense "and
he will let Israel go..."

Can anyone help me understand these verbs.

NAU Exodus 6:11 "Go, tell Pharaoh king of Egypt to let the sons of
Israel go (weyiqtol) out of his land."
NRS Exodus 6:11 "Go and tell Pharaoh king of Egypt to let the Israelites
go out of his land."
RSV Exodus 6:11 "Go in, tell Pharaoh king of Egypt to let the people of
Israel go out of his land."

NAU Exodus 7:2 "You shall speak all that I command you, and your brother
Aaron shall speak to Pharaoh that he let the sons of Israel go (weqatal)
out of his land.
NRS Exodus 7:2 You shall speak all that I command you, and your brother
Aaron shall tell Pharaoh to let the Israelites go out of his land.
RSV Exodus 7:2 You shall speak all that I command you; and Aaron your
brother shall tell Pharaoh to let the people of Israel go out of his
land.

Thanks,
Lee R. Martin