b-hebrew - Re: Deut29, Yigal

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <Yigal-Levin AT utc.edu>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Deut29, Yigal
  • Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 13:56:46 -0500

Hi Bryan,
>> thirsty". Then the saturation would be quenching the thirst (what else
>> could it do).
>
>Might you criticize tha possibilites proposed in my first post on this
>verse? The tranlsation was something llike this: "...resulting in the
>wipe-out of the saturated with the thirsty." To put it another way: you
>mentioned that you don't like the JPS--"...to the utter ruin of moist and
>dry alike"--why not? I wonder why.

Basically, it's more a matter of context than of synatx. I'm reading all of
vs. 19 as part of the trasgression, for which the punishment starts in vs.
20.

Besides, translating "...to the utter ruin of moist and dry alike", Where's
the AND? What about the "et". I still think that the rawah is doing
something to the &eme'ah, not that something is being done to both.

Yigal

Dr. Yigal Levin
Dept. of Philosophy and Religion
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga