b-hebrew - Re: Exodus 6:11 and 7:2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <Yigal-Levin AT utc.edu>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Exodus 6:11 and 7:2
  • Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 11:16:47 -0500

Hi Lee,

First of all please note that some manuscripts of actually have
wiy$allax in 7:2 rather than we$illax, just like 6:11.

The basic meaning of "$alax" is "to send", rather than "to let go". The
KJV, surprisingly enough, gets this when in translates 7:2 "that he send
the children of Israel out of his land", but in 6:11 has "that he let the
children of Israel go out of his land".

Yigal

At 10:59 AM 11/20/2002 -0500, Lee Roy Martin wrote:
>Dear Friends,
>Please observe these three translations of Ex 6:11 and 7:2. They are
>all in agreement that the weyiqtol of 6:11 and the weqatal of 7:2 should
>be translated the same. They interpret both verbs as indirect speech,
>or purpose statements. I would expect the weyiqtol to the translated
>this way, but I would expect the weqatal to be simple future tense "and
>he will let Israel go..."
>
>Can anyone help me understand these verbs.
>

>NAU Exodus 6:11 "Go, tell Pharaoh king of Egypt to let the sons of
>Israel go (weyiqtol) out of his land."
>NRS Exodus 6:11 "Go and tell Pharaoh king of Egypt to let the Israelites
>go out of his land."
>RSV Exodus 6:11 "Go in, tell Pharaoh king of Egypt to let the people of
>Israel go out of his land."
>
>NAU Exodus 7:2 "You shall speak all that I command you, and your brother
>Aaron shall speak to Pharaoh that he let the sons of Israel go (weqatal)
>out of his land.
>NRS Exodus 7:2 You shall speak all that I command you, and your brother
>Aaron shall tell Pharaoh to let the Israelites go out of his land.
>RSV Exodus 7:2 You shall speak all that I command you; and Aaron your
>brother shall tell Pharaoh to let the people of Israel go out of his
>land.
>
>Thanks,
>Lee R. Martin
>

>---
>You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: [Yigal-Levin AT utc.edu]
>To unsubscribe, forward this message to
$subst('Email.Unsub')
>To subscribe, send an email to join-b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu.

Dr. Yigal Levin
Dept. of Philosophy and Religion
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
615 McCallie Avenue