b-hebrew - Re: Pronunciation and Genesis 2:7

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <Yigal-Levin AT utc.edu>
  • To: "frater three" <fraterthree AT lycos.com>, Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Pronunciation and Genesis 2:7
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 09:33:42 -0400

At 05:53 PM 8/24/2002 -0700, frater three wrote:
>Dear members,
>I have some questions on the pronunciation of some words of Genesis 2:7:
>1)Why does the word B)PYW is pronounced as "beapav" without the Yod sound?
For me, it should be "beapayv".

The yod is a matres lectones, or "reading guide", to avoid possible confusion
and reading "beapo".

>2)The right pronunciation of WYHY is "vayehy" or "vayhy"? I know a shewa
is pronounced after a closed syllable and it's not pronounced after an open
syllable, so this pronunciation should be "vayhy".

You are correct in theory, but the shewa` nah is sometimes difficult to
(not) pronounce before a guttural.