b-hebrew - why isn't bereshit in Jer 26:1 in the construct state?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Andrew Kulikovsky" <hermeneutics AT kulikovskyonline.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: why isn't bereshit in Jer 26:1 in the construct state?
  • Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 17:23:12 -0400

Hi All!

I just joined B-Hebrew and I have a burning question! Jer 26:1 (and 27:1
and 28:1) literally says "In the beginning reign of..." which literal
translations like the KJV/ASV translate as "In the beginning of the reign
of..."

Now, if this translation communicates the sense of what the narrative is
communicating then why isn't bereshit in the construct state?

cheers,
Andrew

--
Andrew & Debby Kulikovsky
Check out my Biblical Hermeneutics web site:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?