b-hebrew - Re: Meaning of term "Hebrew"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "George Athas" <gathas AT hotkey.net.au>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Meaning of term "Hebrew"
  • Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 12:41:31 +1000

Sorry for the belated offering, but interestingly, the term "Hebrew" in the
Biblical literature is
only ever used as a gentile description of Israelites. The Israelites do not
ever use it amongst
themselves. Jonah is the only one as far as a I can tell to use the term of
himself, but even then,
he uses the term for the benefit of the non-Israelite mariners.

This suggests that it is not a term that is internal to Israel. Rather, it
was a term that came
from others outside of Israel. I, therefore, have grave doubts that the
Israelites saw themselves
as "Hebrews" meaning "descendants of Eber". I think it is a term used by
non-Israelites to describe
them as fringe dwellers, similar to, if not the same as, Habiru of other
ancient near eastern
texts.

As has been said, however, the issue is very complicated.

Best regards,

Dr GEORGE ATHAS
Lecturer of Biblical Languages
Southern Cross College