b-hebrew - RE: Ex nihilo? Was Raqiyah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Ex nihilo? Was Raqiyah
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 20:28:14 +0200

I see creation ex nihilo in verse 1, which I still interpret as an
independent sentence - don't let's get back into discussing the syntax
again. On my interpretation, which is certainly a very ancient one going
back at least to the LXX, there is no mention of preexisting matter,
just that God created the heavens and the earth. This interpretation
takes v.2 as a description of the state of the earth just after it had
been created.

Peter Kirk