b-hebrew - re: Ex nihilo? Was Raqiyah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: re: Ex nihilo? Was Raqiyah
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 18:04:31 -0600

Bill,
When I was studying advanced Greek grammar, we called these
principles "first-year lies." Which is to say, in the first year profs
often over-simplify things, then have to go back and explain what's
really going on later. I don't know of a single case of the type you
describe in the NT; there are some of the reverse, such as Mark's
omnipresent "historic present," but that seems to be more a case of
one writer's idiolect than anything else. Outside the indicative mode,
it's possible that the "tenses" were aspect-based, though even this
can be questioned. In the indicative, however, as in Gen 1:1, the
present tense was not an option. Had the translator understood
some sort of "linear" aspect in addition to the past tense, s/he would
likely have used an imperfect. In the indicative, the aorist (as its
name suggests) is the simple past tense. In English I can say "I
went to the kitchen" or "I went to Paris" and only the context -
specifically the pragmatic fact that I live in Boise, Idaho, can tell a
listener that the latter event took much longer than the former.
Again, I recommend reading Stagg before making too many
sweeping comments about the aorist.