b-hebrew - re: Ex nihilo? Was Raqiyah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: re: Ex nihilo? Was Raqiyah
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 07:52:11 -0600

> Dear Dave,
>
> There is evidence that the aorist does not signal pasttense, but only the
> perfective aspect, even
> though it has in most cases past reference. Two recent dissertations have
> argued for that. One
> example of an aorist with future reference is Jude 1:14 in the NT. As far
> as I am aware, there is
> no example of Greek imperfect with non-past reference, so I conclude that
> it signals both past
> tense and the imperfective aspect.

Rolf,
I'm not going to pursue this any further because it's taking us too far
away from Hebrew. However, I will say that a) there is evidence to
the contrary, as well; b) details of these "two recent dissertations"
would be nice; c) Jude 14 (this is the correct way of referring to it,
since Jude has only one chapter) is clearly a "prophetic past," a
common phenomenon in biblical and related literature and thus a
special case that doesn't tell us much about the actual force of the
aorist, and d) I think we all agree that Ian's notion about the aorist in
Gen 1:1 is unlikely from a grammatical POV.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
You know you're a lousy artist when you can't
draw a straight line on an Etch-a-Sketch.