b-hebrew - RE: Eve/Chavvah.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Eve/Chavvah.
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 18:30:43 +0100

Ian, bear in mind that the pronunciation of Greek may not have been
quite what we think either. Chi may well have been more an aspirated k
than a velar fricative kh sounds. So it would have matched well with
Hebrew kaph which may have been aspirated, whereas qoph probably was not
and so became unaspirated kappa. I note the following reverse
transformation: Latin Caesar > Greek KAISAR > Hebrew, Aramaic ?? >
Arabic QAYSAR.

As for heth, in most cases it was at least originally (and still is in
oriental dialects) a pharyngeal fricative, which would have sounded
quite different from any possible pronunciation of Greek chi. But in
some words Hebrew heth corresponds to the Arabic velar plosive, i.e. the
kh sound. One possible example is the initial heth of Hebron, which
becomes chi in Greek. A clearer one is Hilkiah, XIL.QIY.FH, from a root
XLQ which is certainly the kh sound in Arabic, which becomes CELKIAS or
CELCIAS in Greek i.e. with initial chi. This is good evidence that this
unwritten distinction was preserved for a long time.

Peter Kirk