b-hebrew - RE: Eve/Chavvah.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Eve/Chavvah.
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 16:04:20 +0100

No, the LXX is ZWH (zeta-omega-eta) which means "life", i.e. they
translated the name rather than transliterated it. I guess that Eve
comes from the Latin Vulgate (which Jerome translated directly from the
Hebrew) which is probably Eva (can anyone confirm that?).

Most modern English Bible translations render well known (personal and
place) names in their traditional English forms (which are mostly based
on Latin) rather than attempt a consistent transliteration. Some place
names have been changed in recent translations to match modern Israeli
usage e.g. "Negeb" has become "Negev" in NIV, which has also replaced
lots of "ch"'s with "k" in less well known names, for Hebrew kaf (het is
usually "h"). But do you see any good reason to make major changes to
this practice?

Peter Kirk