b-hebrew - Re: Eve/Chavvah.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <Yigal-Levin AT utc.edu>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Eve/Chavvah.
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 10:48:53 -0400

Basically, since Greek has no letter equivilant to the Heth in Hawwah ("X"
is a "Kh"), it used an Eta (H). This was then picked up by the Latin as
Eva, Eve etc.
By the way, this shows that as late as the Hellenistic Period, Jews were
still pronouncing the two "Heth"s differently, just as they were still
pronouncing the "Ghayin" (as in Gaza or Gomora) differently from the
"'Ayin", as in 'Amalek.