b-hebrew - Re: OFF TOPIC Modern Hebrew question

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.ac.il>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: OFF TOPIC Modern Hebrew question
  • Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 09:10:47 +0200

When I was a student at Hebrew U, a popular joke was that German is the most important Semitic language, because you need it to learn all the other Semitic languages. Today, in order to be a serious student of Hebrew Bible and Semitic languages, you must know how to read the proliferous professional literature in Hebrew. How can one study Deuteronomistic literature without reading up on all Moshe Weinfeld has written?
However, I really don't see the need to conduct Hebrew Bible classes in Hebrew in the U.S., though making it an elective might be useful for improving students' reading proficiency in Modern Hebrew professional literature.
Sincerely,
Jonathan D. Safren
Dept. of Biblical Studies
Beit Berl College