b-hebrew - RE: OFF TOPIC Modern Hebrew question

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: OFF TOPIC Modern Hebrew question
  • Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 12:30:29 -0400

> But if you came across a word which occurs only once in the
> Bard's works
> and whose meaning was uncertain from its context (and if, as with the
> Hebrew Bible, there were little other surviving contemporary
> literature), might it not help to ask what it means in modern English?
Not necessarily.
I keep thinking about the question my 5-year old asked:
"Why don't we want God?" she said.
I told her of course we want God, what did she mean?
She replied:
"The Lord is my Shepherd I shall not want."

That said, I do think that knowing modern Hebrew
is a tremendous help, and that people should be
encouraged to learn it, read it, and speak it.
My first introduction to Hebrew as an adult was
modern Hebrew, and that background gave me
a tremendous leg-up in learning Biblical. But they
are two separate dialects, and trying to speak
Biblical Hebrew in Tel Aviv is a disaster!
Liz