b-hebrew - RE: OFF TOPIC Modern Hebrew question

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: OFF TOPIC Modern Hebrew question
  • Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 10:14:14 -0700

I get the feeling this discussion is getting out of hand, at least in
some quarters. That said, I have to go with Jim West on this one. I
do read some Modern Hebrew, but I don't speak it because there's
nobody around here to talk to. For reading some of the secondary
literature, yes, it can be an asset. For exegesis, no way. I believe it
was William Chomsky who said that Modern Hebrew is more an
Indo-European language than a Semitic one, especially in terms of
syntax. That's not going to be much help in sorting out the
mysteries of Biblical Hebrew.
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
You know you're a lousy artist when you can't
draw a straight line on an Etch-a-Sketch.