b-hebrew - RE: OFF TOPIC Modern Hebrew question

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Madden, Shawn" <sMadden AT sebts.edu>
  • To: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.ac.il>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: OFF TOPIC Modern Hebrew question
  • Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 11:53:35 -0400

This is a test to see if I can send to follks from e-mail and not just through the forum on the web. I will send the same message on the web just incase one goes through and the other does not.

Might the question of using modern Hebrew to teach classical Hebrew not be handled this way. There is a school of thought that in the teaching of classical Hebrew one is merely teaching the students to observe what has been produced by the ancient writers and is not really that interested in "producing" or "creating" sentences in classical Hebrew. I use this method my self. However, I saw a history channel series on Elizabeth I that pointed out that she was taught her plethora of non-English languages by having her not only be able to read what she found already produced but she was also required to produce dialogue in those languages. It was said on that show that that was the superior method of teaching a foreign language. ONe of our professors here at Southeastern who was taught a Jewish Union in Cincinatti, remarked that that was how he was taught and that he did the same thing in his class. If you look at Wiengreen's textbook he has exercises in both Hebrew to English and English to Hebrew.

So, that being said, is it not more to the point that in teaching Hebrew the students could/should learn to produce the language (whether in Modern or Classical forms) to improve their understanding and skills? I am considering this for my next year's class.

To the other point about learning modern Hebrew to access the works of modern Hebrew scholars. Good idea but so too one should have a facility in a plethora of languages that have secondary works in those languages about classical Hebrew. Again, German being primary, but also French, Dutch, Italian, Modern Hebrew, etc. Of course this works out that one should know a whole bunch of languages to seriously be able (yes, I like to regularly split infinitives!) to address an issue, not just the modern version of the classical language under consideration.