b-hebrew - Re: Hebrew Syntax.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: c stirling bartholomew <cc.constantine AT worldnet.att.net>
  • To: Trevor & Julie Peterson <06peterson AT cua.edu>, Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Hebrew Syntax.
  • Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 21:21:28 -0700

on 4/9/02 4:36 PM, Trevor & Julie Peterson wrote:

> Buth argues that this
> is not how the stem system works for living speakers of any Semitic
> language; rather, the verbs--the individual lexical entries--are formed of
> both root and stem.

Trevor,

I have seen discussions of this sort of thing in the older grammars on NT
Greek, under word formation. From the stand point of lexical semantics this
kind of thinking looks somewhat bizarre. I have generally ignored it,
assuming it was a hangover from 19th century philology.

Thanks for the clarification, very helpful.

greetings,

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew