b-hebrew - Re: Is R)$YT even a "time" word?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Bill Burks <rwburks AT flash.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Is R)$YT even a "time" word?
  • Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 21:19:08 -0600

Ian,

Jerome who did the Vulgate, studied carefully the Hebrew language before he
translated
the sense of what the Hebrew said. The translatiors of the LXX who
translated the
portions of the Torah also tried to transfer the sense of the Hebrew text
they had in
front of them into the Greek language. Both Jerome and the writers of the
LXX lived in
a time much closer to the origin of the text than we. According to Tov in his
work on
Textual Criticism said that, the LXX and Masoretic text came from Hebrew
texts that
were different but both valid texts. Both the LXX and Masoretic texts
according to Tov
have Hebrew texts found at Qumron which support their readings. The Vulgate
was most
likely translated from the same family of texts which became the Masoretic
texts. Both
the Masoretic text and some of the translations like the Vulgate and LXX bear
witness
to texts which developed in the past before our present text was established.

Appealling to the Vulgate does for me show interest in the Hebrew text and its
background, since the current accepted Hebrew text and the Vulgate represent
the
Hebrew texts of an earlier era.

Regards,

Bill Burks