b-hebrew - RE: Is R)$YT even a "time" word?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ken Smith" <kens AT 180solutions.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Is R)$YT even a "time" word?
  • Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 10:05:04 -0800

Actually, Liz, I expect that if the LXX and Vulgate were influenced by
Aristotle, it would be *against* creatio ex nihilo. One of Aristotle's
maxims was *ex nihilo nihil fit*, and although I'll confess I'm very
unfamiliar with Aristotle's works, it's my understanding that Aristotle
taught that matter was eternal and uncreated. The whole "first mover"
bit refers to getting the show moving, not to creating the matter. Even
into the middle ages, when the Christian scholastics debated the
question of faith vs. reason, it was assumed that "reason" (i.e.,
Aristotle) taught that matter was eternal, and it was only by means of
"faith" (i.e., the Church) that they knew otherwise.

I'm not taking any position on whether Genesis 1:1 teaches creatio ex
nihilo -- I'm just pointing out that if later Christian and Jewish
teachers believed that it did, it wasn't because they were reading it
through the lens of Aristotle.

Ken Smith