b-hebrew - RE: Is R)$YT even a "time" word?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Is R)$YT even a "time" word?
  • Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 08:59:16 +0300

Ian, thanks for sharing the passage from Enuma Elish which makes clear
how irrelevant this is. There is a lot in it which is clearly not in
Genesis, and apparently vice versa. So why can they not differ also on
"in the beginning"?

B- in BERESHIT should be taken as a preposition, a separate word. As
such, we can generally presume initially that the meaning of B- plus
RESHIT is derived from those of B- and RESHIT separately. Of course
there may be special idiomatic usages where the meaning is not so simply
derived, but I have seen no evidence of such idiomatic usage. We just
need to take RESHIT in the sense "beginning" rather than the sense
"first-fruits", and we are there.

On what basis do you say that I am fudging anything with ellipsis at the
beginning of the book? I don't see any ellipsis in my interpretation,
just a use of unqualified RESHIT to mean "the very beginning of time"
just as in the MERESHIT example and in the LXX etc translation of
Genesis 1:1.

I still fail to see any objection to my interpretation other than one
based on a philosophical rejection of the concept of creation ex nihilo.

Peter Kirk

But