b-hebrew - RE: Is R)$YT even a "time" word?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Is R)$YT even a "time" word?
  • Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 11:57:56 +0300

No, Ian, B- in BERESHIT is not analogous to be- in "behind", despite the
purely accidental cross-linguistic similarity. Be- in "behind" is
derivatiional morphology. B- in BERESHIT functions as a separate word.
It is much more like "in" in the English phrase "In the beginning",
whose meaning can be decomposed into "in" (in a temporal sense), "the"
(indicating definiteness), and "beginning".

Ian, you wrote, "Your "interpretation" is pure eisegesis from the Greek
philosophical influence in early Christianity." Well, actually most
accept that LXX at least of the Pentateuch is pre-Christian. But my main
reply is this: I would say that your "interpretation" is pure eisegesis
from a different kind of Greek philosophical influence in medieval
Judaism, compounded by eisegesis from Babylonian mythology.

Peter Kirk