b-hebrew - Is R)$YT even a "time" word?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Paul Zellmer" <smdirect AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Is R)$YT even a "time" word?
  • Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 11:25:53 -0500

Ian,

A couple days ago I asked you why you are even so sure that R)$YT is even a
"time" word. I repeat that the word as used throughout the Tanach seems to
be describing *what* it is that comes at the start of a series, not the
*time* the series starts. I don't see your basis for taking it the same way
as, say, YWM, which clearly specifies a unit of time.

If we remove the "time word" or "time phrase" element, that sort of shoots
your whole debate in the foot, what?

Paul Zellmer