b-hebrew - Re: lationship between b-nouns and clauses

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Moon-Ryul Jung" <moon AT sogang.ac.kr>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: lationship between b-nouns and clauses
  • Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 19:01:43 -0500

Ian,
thank you so much for asking this question. I also raised this
question in the midst of this thread, but got no feedback.

I read the following arguments:
(1) RESHIT in BERESHIT in Gen 1.1 is in the construct form,
because all the other occurrences of BERESHIT are in
the construct form, being qualified by some absolute forms.
(2) So, BERESHIT in Gen 1.1. should be qualified by something absolute.
But here there is no noun phrase to qualify BERESHIT. So, the clause
followed by BERESHIT should play the role of the qualifying absolute
noun.

To this I would like to say:
(1) RESHIT in MERESHIT Isa 46.10 should be considered to be in the
absolute state.
[ declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things
not yet done, saying, "My purpose shall stand, and I will fulfill
my intention," ]
The form RESHIT itself does not indicate that it is in the absolute.
(2) So, if one wants to construe Gen 1.1 so that BERESHIT is qualified by
the following QATAL clause, it should be done on grounds other than
BERESHIT is in the construct state.
(3) Ian, you did a good job of pointing to many BYOM + finite clause,
where YOM is qualified by the finite clause. This can be explained
by two hypotheses:
(i) [H1] A noun [in the absolute state] can be qualified by a finite
clause
WITHOUT the relative pronouns such as SH and ASHER, if necessary.
Then the relative pronouns can be omitted in BH as in English.
(ii) [H2] BYOM is a fixed expression which can be used as a temporal
conjunction like KY. This can be confirmed if we can show that
only time expressions can be qualified by finite clauses without
the relative pronoun, as you indicated.
(4) In either hypothesis, BYOM can be qualified by more than one clauses.
There are nothing that would prohibit such rules. It should be one of
the
universals in human languages. But as far as I observe the debate
between
Ian and Peter, the problem is not whether BYOM can be qualified by
more
than one clauses. It is whether two clauses qualifying BYOM are
COORDINATED
clauses or SEQUENTIAL clauses. For all the BYOM clause debate between
you
and Peter, I tend to agree with Peter, because for now I adopted
the grammar of Hatav and Niccacci. They do not analyize WAYYIQTOL
into
W + IQTOL, but consider WAYYIQTOL as a "tense" on its own. They
consider
WAYYIQTOL basically sequential in the sense that it introduces a new
event
in the narrative relative to the current reference time.

(5) Now, I would like to put a conjecture as follows:
WAYYIQTOL cannot be used when there is no reference time to refer to.
[Peter seems to accept it, while you reject it.] If this hypothesis
is right, in sentences of the form WAYHI + BYOM + QATAL/QOTEL/Inf +
WAYYIQTOL, QATAL/QOTEL/Inf and WAYYIQTOL cannot be coordinated and
thus cannot both qualify YOM,
because QATAL/QOTEL/Inf is used to introduce the reference time,
and WAYYIQTOL introduces a new event relative to the introduced
reference time.

Moon
Moon R. Jung
Sogang Univ, Seoul, Korea

from

(2)

How do people see the relationship between b-nouns