b-hebrew - RE: One or One?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "JWE" <jwe1 AT home.com>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: One or One?
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 23:06:01 -0500

EHad is the number one. It doesn't mean anything,
it's just a number. Echad, Shnaim, shalosha, etc. 1,2,3.
Echad cannot mean anything but the number 1.
Now if you have an idea that the number one can mean
three, then gehe gesund, as we say, but it's not derivable
from the text itself.

Now, yaHad is the verb, to make as one, to unite.
But that is not what we have in Deut. 6:4.

YaHid means only, solitary, the only one, as in you are
my only son. It is an adjective.

Hope this helps.
Liz