b-hebrew - Re: One or One?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: JWE <jwe1 AT home.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: One or One?
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 22:49:02 -0800

Hi Shoshanna,

>What is a "composite unity"????

As I understood the speaker, it means one being or thing that is made up of
many
parts (like your point of 1 million parts), but is unified (single); the
example
given was Adam and Eve being 2 people, but they became one flesh (Gen 2:24)

Again, the other example was given as us having one body, but our body is made
up of MANY parts but it is still ONE body.

The speaker said that "Echad" (one) was used to convey "oneness" or "unity",
whereas, the word "Yachid" was used to convey a single "one" thought (such as
having "Yachid" sun in the sky.)

Liz Wrote:

>The Trinity, obviously.

Yes that was the speaker's point, but I didn't (and don't) want this to turn
into a "Debate" about G-d, and that was the reason that I asked if anyone
could
please tell me if what she said about "Echad" & "Yachid" was (1) true and (2)
could someone please tell me if there are any website's that may give any
information on this so I could get a better understanding regarding this?

Thanks to everyone that has responded, but I'm still not clear on this and
would
appreciate anyone's help in understanding it.

Let me say again, so there is no misunderstanding: I am NOT asking if there is
or if anyone BELIEVES there is a "Trinity" - I need information on those 2
WORDS (Yachid - Echad) and whether they can MEAN what the speaker said they
meant.

Thanx again.

G-d Bless,
J.W.