b-hebrew - One or One?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: JWE <jwe1 AT home.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: One or One?
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 13:38:48 -0800

Hi Everyone!

Could y'all help me with a question please?

On two different occasions (the most recent being yesterday), I have been told
that the Hebrew word "Echad" (one), means a "Composite unity" i.e. more than a
"Single" one; the examples of this were, Adam & Eve being "one" and your body
having many parts but it is "one" body (This reference was presented in a
discussion on Deut 6:4) . This person also stated if you were talking about a
"Single" one, you would use the Hebrew word, "Yachid"; the example given for
Yachid was "One" moon or sun.

Is this true, and if so, could someone please tell me if there are any
website's
that may give any information on this so I could get a better understanding
regarding this?

Thank you to everyone in advance for ANY help and I apologize if this is a
very
simplistic matter, but I don't really "know" Hebrew, but I am TRYING to
understand it.

G-d Bless,
J.W.