b-hebrew - Re: One or One?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Polycarp66 AT aol.com
  • To: jwe1 AT home.com, b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: One or One?
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 14:02:11 EST

In a message dated 1/28/2002 1:36:49 PM Eastern Standard Time, jwe1 AT home.com writes:

Could y'all help me with a question please?

On two different occasions (the most recent being yesterday), I have been told
that the Hebrew word "Echad" (one), means a "Composite unity" i.e. more than a
"Single" one; the examples of this were, Adam & Eve being "one" and your body
having many parts but it is "one" body (This reference was presented in a
discussion on Deut 6:4) .  This person also stated if you were talking about a
"Single" one, you would use the Hebrew word, "Yachid"; the example given for
Yachid was "One" moon or sun.

My initial response is the shema (Ex. 6.4)

$:Ma( Yi&Rf)"L YY ):eLoH"YNW. YY )eXfD

This is the b-hebrew style transliteration.  Since you did not use it, I will assume you are not familiar with it and will attempt to transliterate it phonetically.

Shema Yisroel YHWH eloheynu YHWH echad

Now for the question.  Do you suppose that the author is here saying that YHWH is a "composite unity"?  I think not.  Hopefully, this will answer your question.

gfsomsel