b-hebrew - RE: God's name: was Curious abut "G-d"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Shoshanna Walker'" <rosewalk AT concentric.net>, "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: God's name: was Curious abut "G-d"
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 10:55:35 -0000

Yes, I believe in the Torah, in a sense which I won't try to define. But
I don't remember anything there about not pronouncing the name. Yes,
there is a commandment about not taking it in vain, but I don't believe
that this means not pronouncing it, at least in a suitable context -
though I might include not using it as a swearword as part of the
meaning of the commandment.

Peter Kirk