b-hebrew - RE: God's name: was Curious abut "G-d"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Ken Smith'" <kens AT 180solutions.com>, "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: God's name: was Curious abut "G-d"
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 10:55:35 -0000

To be very precise, at least in the Masoretic text the YAH used as a short form of the divine name, especially in HLLW YH, is different from the –YAH ending of personal names. In the latter (with one exception, Y:DIYD:YFH. Jedidiah 2 Sam 12:25) the final H is unpointed and so a silent “mater”. In the form YAH the final H has a dot (mappiq) indicating that it is pronounced.

The name ending –YHW could have been pronounced Yahwe in older texts before a final vowel was (almost) consistently represented by a “mater” H. I guess most would agree that in the form YHWH the final H was actually silent, at least I haven’t seen arguments for it being pronounced. But the first H, which is not word final, must have been pronounced, and so the shortened form with the pronounced final H is appropriate.

Peter Kirk

Peter Kirk