b-hebrew - RE: alef, ayin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Ian Hutchesson'" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>, "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: alef, ayin
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 10:55:35 -0000

Welcome back to the list, Ian! Our discussions have been rather tame in
your absence, or at least lurking.

`ayin, as I understand it doesn't involve the glottis but actually the
pharnyx, which is the top part of the throat behind the tongue. This can
be nearly closed by pulling back the root of the tongue. We westerners
are not used to doing this in speech, but we do when we cough. So the
closest we can easily make to an `ayin is a light cough.

Peter Kirk