b-hebrew - RE: "admittedly syncretistic Kuntillet Ajrud fragments"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ken Smith" <kens AT 180solutions.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: "admittedly syncretistic Kuntillet Ajrud fragments"
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 00:59:06 -0800

I got the Baal/El fragment from the Anchor Bible Dictionary article on
Kuntillet Ajrud. The entire quotation that it reproduces is:

...]/wbzr(w)x.'l.br[...
...]/wyms(w)n.hr(y)m/wyd(w)k(w)n.gbn(wny)m[...
...]w$d$.'ly[...
...]lbrk.b`l.by(w)m mlx[mh]
...]lsm(.)'l.by(w)m mlx[mh]

(I'm mostly using their transliteration scheme, but substituting $ for
shin and x for het. Unfortunately, the ABD editors apparently assumed a
more substantial Hebrew literacy for their readers than I yet possess,
and didn't think it necessary to include a translation. The last two
lines aren't that hard, but is there anybody else who wants to take a
shot at the whole before I embarrass myself?)

As for the dating of the Biblical materials, all I can say is that it
would take much more than an argument from manuscript silence to
convince me of a Second Temple setting for Hosea, Joel, Amos et al.

Ken

(This