b-hebrew - RE: "admittedly syncretistic Kuntillet Ajrud fragments"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: "admittedly syncretistic Kuntillet Ajrud fragments"
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 09:20:18 -0500

I'd like to point out, before we get carried away here,
that Kuntilet Ajrud was not a shrine (pace Dever).
There were no maCCevot, no altars, no incense altars,
nothing that would indicate that any worship at all
whatsoever occurred there.
KA was a caravansary in the middle of the desert, on an oasis.
It was at the crossroads of two (at least) major roads.
It went out of use in the middle of the 8th century.
Now were huge pithoi were found there with these
scratchings on them to YHWH and his Asherah,
as well as to other gods.
I suspect that people kept food stuffs in the pithoi
and wanted the gods to protect the food until they
got back, it was a way of locking the jars.
I want to know who used this site?
Who traveled the Sinai desert?
No one is asking that question.
Liz