b-hebrew - RE: "admittedly syncretistic Kuntillet Ajrud fragments"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ken Smith" <kens AT 180solutions.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: "admittedly syncretistic Kuntillet Ajrud fragments"
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 20:35:20 -0800

Well, I guess I was assuming that the reference to "Yahweh and his
Asherah", heading a drawing of a god and a goddess, wasn't exactly up to
the standards of prophetic monotheism :-). I know that phrase has been
interpreted in different ways, but isn't the most straightforward to
understand it as a reference to Yahweh and his consort Asherah, who are
pictured in the drawing below the inscription?

Still, I'm no expert on these matters, and if there's good reason not to
understand the phrase that way, I'm quite open to learning more.

Ken