b-hebrew - Re: "admittedly syncretistic Kuntillet Ajrud fragments"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.ac.il>
  • To: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: "admittedly syncretistic Kuntillet Ajrud fragments"
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 09:06:58 +0200

I don;t see why there should be any doubt about YHWH $mrn at KA being
understood as YHWH of Samaria. From KA there's another insciription with
YHWH Teman, one of the places mentioned in the Bible (Habakkuj 3?) as a
location of divine theophany. Cf. also the incipits to the Blessing of Moses
(Deut. 33) and the Song of Deborah (Jud. 5) - YHWH seems to reveal himself,
or the YHWHs seem to reveal themselves, in all sorts of mountainous and
desert locations to the south of Israel - indicating perhaps His - or
their - origins?
Jonathan D. Safren
Dept. of Biblical Studies
Beit Berl College