b-hebrew - RE: PS And God saw that it was good

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: "'Shoshanna Walker'" <rosewalk AT concentric.net>, "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: PS And God saw that it was good
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 08:15:38 -0500

I don't deny it, though I think scholars debate this. But the vast
majority of roots in Hebrew as we know it (as opposed to speculative
reconstructions) have three letters, a few have four. TEVA` is certainly
from a three letter root. TOV could be from a two letter one, but must
be different from that of TEVA`. For that extra ayin must be a root
letter, it is never added or dropped by derivational processes within
Hebrew.

I know. But I wonder where originally, far far back, the two words came from. There must be a common something.

Shoshanna