b-hebrew - RE: PS And God saw that it was good

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Shoshanna Walker'" <rosewalk AT concentric.net>, "Biblical Hebrew \(Biblical Hebrew\)" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: PS And God saw that it was good
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 23:52:44 -0000

Well, according to BDB the root of TOV is tet-waw-bet. This root is also
found in Arabic, with a yod equivalent in the middle, and Akkadian. This
confirms that the roots were separate as far back as proto-Semitic. But
some scholars have surmised that many triliteral roots were originally
biliteral in an even older form of the language, and were then extended.
So there is room for a hypothesis that both TOV and TEVA` come from a
common biliteral root tet-bet. Unfortunately such hypotheses are quite
unprovable and so speculative as we have no records that far back.

Peter Kirk

TOV.