b-hebrew - Re: Understanding the Word of G-d

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: "Michael Abernathy" <mabernat AT cub.kcnet.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Understanding the Word of G-d
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 15:08:30 -0500

I don't know about the others, but this is not what I said.

I said the Rabbinical commentaries, not Jewish authors. Now I will clarify and say - the Classical, Mishnaic, Talmudic, Kabbalistic rabbinical commentaries. Like Rashi, and Metzudat David, for instance. People who learned and identified with a 5,000 year old tradition of handed down knowledge before it was put into writing. I have no idea who U Cassuto is, and whether or not he is connected to that tradition. I don't want to say bad things, but if I wanted an explanation of Torah, I probably wouldn't ask him. Not everyone - just because he or she is Jewish - is an authority on Torah, one has to also examine if that person considers G-d his/her authority in life or not. We all know too well that many Jews, not willing to submit themselves to G-d's authority or our tradition, do a lot to seek to undermine it. (Not saying this about U Cassuto - but, as I said, I don't know who that is).

What you quote:
`I am He Who has been, Who is now, and
Who will be in the future.' in any case is not a literal translation. Here's another one:"I will be that which I will be". This explanation has far reaching religious/philosophical connotations. If several out of hundreds of commentators choose to explain the words philosophically instead of literally, and if many modern Biblical scholar, Jewish or not Jewish, are removed from our 5,000 year old handed down tradition, and come to a consensus that they should translate it as "I am", that still does not mean that the word "Ehyeh" was NOT written down in future tense in the Torah.

Shabbat Shalom

Shoshanna

I know that Shoshanna Walker and others have taken the position that Jewish
authors consistently translate "Ehyeh-Asher-Ehyeh" as future.
I would like some clarification because some of the references I thought
were Jewish disagreed. For example, I believe U Cassuto who publihshed a
commentary on Exodus in 1967 through Magnes Press in Jerusalem was a
professor at the University of Jerusalem. I assumed he was Jewish. He
comments on Exodus 3:14 "The meaning assigned to it in our passage
corresponds to the present. The form of the
verb that is called in Hebrew today `future' [i.e. the imperfect] could
signify in Biblical language any tense-past, present or future-and
approximated in some instances to the use of the `present' in Modern
Hebrew." (page 38). Could someone please tell me what his background was?
Also I note that the Ramban Commentary on the Torah seems to imply that the
imperfect has an indefinite aspect of time when it comments,
"In a similar vein the Rabbis expounded: `Rabbi Yitzchak said that the Holy
One, blessed be He, said to Moses: `I am He Who has been, Who is now, and
Who will be in the future.' This is why Eh'yeh is written here three times."
(page 36)? Please tell me if I am misinterpreting this commentary.
I know that some Jewish authors have translated Ehyeh in the future tense,
but I have not been able to support the belief that they all do. Further, I
am not certain whether the insistence on the future tense comes from an
understanding of ancient Hebrew or if it is the result of modern usage. As
I was taught the use of the imperfect tense, I would have interpreted Ehyeh
to mean that the action is present and continues into the future.
Thank you for your help,
Michael Abernathy
mabernat AT cub.kcnet.org