b-hebrew - Re: Understanding the Word of G-d

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Michael Abernathy" <mabernat AT cub.kcnet.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Understanding the Word of G-d
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 09:36:43 -0800

I know that Shoshanna Walker and others have taken the position that Jewish
authors consistently translate "Ehyeh-Asher-Ehyeh" as future.
I would like some clarification because some of the references I thought
were Jewish disagreed. For example, I believe U Cassuto who publihshed a
commentary on Exodus in 1967 through Magnes Press in Jerusalem was a
professor at the University of Jerusalem. I assumed he was Jewish. He
comments on Exodus 3:14 "The meaning assigned to it in our passage
corresponds to the present. The form of the
verb that is called in Hebrew today `future' [i.e. the imperfect] could
signify in Biblical language any tense-past, present or future-and
approximated in some instances to the use of the `present' in Modern
Hebrew." (page 38). Could someone please tell me what his background was?
Also I note that the Ramban Commentary on the Torah seems to imply that the
imperfect has an indefinite aspect of time when it comments,
"In a similar vein the Rabbis expounded: `Rabbi Yitzchak said that the Holy
One, blessed be He, said to Moses: `I am He Who has been, Who is now, and
Who will be in the future.' This is why Eh'yeh is written here three times."
(page 36)? Please tell me if I am misinterpreting this commentary.
I know that some Jewish authors have translated Ehyeh in the future tense,
but I have not been able to support the belief that they all do. Further, I
am not certain whether the insistence on the future tense comes from an
understanding of ancient Hebrew or if it is the result of modern usage. As
I was taught the use of the imperfect tense, I would have interpreted Ehyeh
to mean that the action is present and continues into the future.
Thank you for your help,
Michael Abernathy
mabernat AT cub.kcnet.org