b-hebrew - RE: The Case Against a Hellenistic Primary History

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Ian Hutchesson" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: The Case Against a Hellenistic Primary History
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 10:57:55 +0100

Thank you, Ian, for this remarkable result, which can only show that Greek
was either almost unknown in the environment where the DSS were composed -
i.e. that that environment had been shielded from Hellenistic influence for
300 years or so - or else that there was a deliberate policy of avoiding
Greek words. Such a policy is of course not impossible in the political and
religious context; in the translation I have been working on we have
deliberately avoided loan words from a former colonial power's language even
when it has been difficult to find alternatives. But the consistent
application of such a policy requires a high level of sophistication: those
applying it must know Greek and also know the older forms of their own
language so that they can find the alternative words.

MIGDOL is of course used for a military structure in a number of places in
the Hebrew Bible, e.g. Judges 9:51-52. And it is formed from a well-known
Hebrew root GDL. So I don't see any reason to consider this to be a Greek or
Latin loan word.

Does anyone know whether the Hebrew of Sirach is similarly free of Greek and
Persian loan words?

Peter Kirk