b-hebrew - RE: The Case Against a Hellenistic Primary History

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Ian Hutchesson" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: The Case Against a Hellenistic Primary History
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 00:21:38 +0100

Ian, you may not know of any Greek words in the Hebrew of the DSS. But does
Qimron? He appears to be the expert, and I noticed that you quoted him re
Persian but not re Greek. I don't have his book to hand, but apparently you
do. There are certainly Greek texts among the DSS, some of which have Hebrew
words in them (not least the Tetragrammaton). Are there really no Greek loan
words or structures in any of the Hebrew texts? That would be such a
remarkable result as to prompt a major rethink about either dating of the
DSS or about the extent to which Greek had penetrated Judea during the 1st
century CE.

Peter Kirk