b-hebrew - The Case Against a Hellenistic Primary History

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Walter Mattfeld" <mattfeld AT mail.pjsnet.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: The Case Against a Hellenistic Primary History
  • Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 07:50:36 +0200

Ian wrote :

<Walter, I'm sure you'll note that at the time the DSS were
<written Greek culture was well disseminated in Palestine.
<However, there is almost no trace of that culture or of
<linguistic influence. At he same time new cities don't have
<long traditions. I don't marvel that there are no Greek
<cities mentioned in what some people are calling the
<"primary history".

Fair-enough, Ian. Why don't you "marvel" that the narrator, allegedly
writing for a Hellenistic audience, didn't bother to explain that some
cities had changed their names by Hellenistic times, and provide for them,
like Josephus did, the modern and the ancient names ? He was concerned to
explain Laish had become Dan, so why not the same concern for Hellenized
names of older cities ?

All the best, Walter

Walter Reinhold Warttig Mattfeld
Walldorf by Heidelberg